The new Forum

How does one mark a thread as read now?

There doesn’t appear to be a ‘Mark all threads as read’ button either.

You can use the “Dismiss New” button which comes up on the New posts page to do something similar I think Kit.

Cheers Mike

Is there an index page like;

was on the old version? I can see random postings but not an obvious home page.

Robin

https://discourse.demu.org.uk is as close as it seems to come to a ‘home page’ It works a bit differently to the old forum. More like Facebook (but without the ads and tracking!).

Having had a rummage around I found;

http://discourse.demu.org.uk/categories

which seems to be closest to a home page, but looks like it will get very messy as the sub sections increase.

Robin

For some reason it changed that by adding an http:// at the front whichmakes it wrong.

I’ll try it with quotes and see if that works

DEMU

Have found the edit is now working. Also there is a limit of three consecutive posts!

Anyway no, that didn’t work, still changed it to a link as DEMU instead of d i s c o u r s e / d e m u . o r g . u k / c a t e g o r i e s . Anyone know how to force it back to plain text?

While I’m at it I’ll see it the old table formatting carries over;

[table][tr][td]HTO[/td][td]21Ton coal hopper Parkside[/td][td]3mm[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]MK1 BSK[/td][td]BR Mk1 Brake van cage[/td][td]4mm[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Hmm, recognises the url= bit but not the table bits.

Robin

Discourse probably uses a different sort of formatting than simpleforum did. I suspect it might be closer to a wiki in style, but I’ve not looked into it.

A quick look suggests it should support normal HTML, BBCode and Markdown. The latter doesn’t appear to support tables at all. So you’ll probably need to use HTML for tables.

1 Like

Well this is all a bit different and shiny and new isn’t it?

Any chance we can have a Lounge/off-topic area like we used to please? Somewhere to post the music threads and the like.

Andi

1 Like

That sounds a bit Alarming.

1 Like

Just created a lounge board, we can add any sub boards as required

1 Like

Just tried to do a

PM Sent

reply to a post and I got an error message saying that posts must be a minimum of 20 characters. :crazy_face:

Topic titles must also be a minimum of 5 characters, and it won’t allow topic titles to be consecutive caps. Slightly annoying, means that EMUs can’t be a topic title, nor OHLE.

1 Like

Will have a dig into the settings at the weekend and see if the min values can easily be calibrated

You can at least use 3 characters for a tag

Just tried creating a Three Counties Area Group section, thougfht I had but when I went back to add a new topic it wasn’t there. I know it is somewhere as it showed up when I tried recreating it, but no idea where I now find it to add the topic for Bassetlaw exhibition. Can anyone else see a Three Counties topic under Area Groups? Any pointers please.

Robin

I can see it

https://discourse.demu.org.uk/t/three-counties-area-group/391

From my fiddling around on here yesterday it seems that the mice in the servers are running on 14 speed steps instead of 128 and it takes a little while for the database to catch up sometimes.

I have just tried to post something in the OMS thread and been told I cannot do more than 3 consecutive post until someone else replies.

Now that is OK on the OMS thread as they are fun posts, but what about threads like layout or modelling threads when a member wants to update her/his/them layout or the next stage in a modelling project? That will limit what we as members can do on this forum.

That’s an odd one as I haven’t had it on my workbench or layout thread and I can see six consecutive posts by me on my layout thread.

Will have a look in the settings, I know it has access levels it automatically applies after a certain time limit so possibly it’s that. Will update once I know more

@clive.mortimore I have just played around with your account settings, can you try posting again and let me know if it will let you do more than 3 in a row please?