OTA Timber wagons

This is a placeholder for all information on OTA wagons, as written up in Update, and on the old Forum, plus additional new material.

BR has a history of converting wagons to convey logs: the Timber-P (TOPS code UUV) had previous lives on the Condor freight service, and as Plate wagons. These of course were not appropriate for the air-braked era.
In the 1980’s log timber was being moved around by unconverted OBA wagons, and by bogie wagons such as the BSW and BTA conversions. These were not always totally suitable. In particular the OBA wagons were not able to take the volume of the cargo to be efficient. As a result, various OCA wagons were converted, and then with the changes in contracts, further conversions were undertaken.
Surplus VDA vans were used as donors in the 1990’s, along with the VHA. Finally some OBA wagons were also modified. The position was complicated by transfers between wagon pools, as contracts were won or lost and some OTAs were then used as reach wagons, or as engineers stock. Additionally wagons were written off in incidents, and even then they were sometimes rebuilt and reinstated.
This created a varied fleet as lessons were learnt about what was really required. For example the original timber floors didn’t stand up to the unloading machinery, and so steel decking was introduced. Indeed wagons were rebuilt during their career as OTAs, with ends extended (to increase capacity), or had stanchions taken out, again probably modified to meet the requirements of the handling
machinery in each contract.
There were also trials with experimental ‘one-offs’. 112292 was apparently the test bed for the later ExTe stanchions, and 200944 had a cradle between the stanchions to keep the handling grabs free of the wooden floor.

There were three main sets of donor wagons: OCAs, Vans (VDA/VHA), and OBAs, to the following design codes: (and I’ve included the original Update article references)

Design code Tops Code Number range* UpDate article
OT001A OTA-A 112067-112399 71, 76, 78, 79 Ex OC001A
OT001B OTA-B 112292 ? 75 Not definitive
OT001C OTA-C 112184-112386 69 Ex OC001A Thames
OT002A OTA-D 200708-200974/210144-210363 73 Ex VDA
OT002B OTA-D 201029-201093 73 Ex VDA, experimental suspension
OT002C OTA-D 200817/200822 73 Ex VDA
OT002D OTA-D 200980-200985 73 Ex VDA
OT002E OTA-D 201070 79 Ex VHA
OT002F OTA-E 200944 70 Ex VDA. Revised stanchions for Forestry Commission
OT003A OTA-B 200650-200996/210129-210392 74 Ex VDA
OSA 200721 70
OT003B OTA-B 200864/210136/210281 74 Ex VDA
OT003C OTA-B 200651-200997/210107-210332 74 Ex ZRA (VDA)
OT003D OTA-D 200995 74 Ex VDA experimental suspension
OT004A OTA-F 110010-110797 68 Ex ZDA (OBA)

*the actual numbers will be set out later when going through the design codes

OT001A

Before I go any further, should I give a potted history each time in this run, and add in modelling, or just have the histories/fleet numbers?

What do people want?

Note to Admin: I can’t see the option to add tags: would suggest OTA, Timber, OCA conversions, VDA conversions, OBA conversions as possibilities

If you have the time/inclination, potted history is good. The modelling could possibly be a Workbench thread to make it easier to follow the history/prototype information.

I’ve not figured out tags either, the + button seems to do nothing when I type a tag in on apost.

How to create tag structures, tag category restrictions, tag groups and tag relationships - howto / admins - Discourse Meta

@aaty @D827 I have just been looking at the above but would like to try it out or see someone try it out. It can used in a parent - child relationship.

But from my understanding this version is only a test and will get wiped, but @lyneux should confirm if that is correct.

cheers
Phil

Correct! Don’t go too crazy creating content as it will probably be wiped.

Understood, I won’t put too much across, but if we have enough warning we can at least make backups of the initial posts and put them on the new version when it goes live.

I’ve now been able to add tags from those provided.
This I can see being a bit of a minefield to do, but once done, properly, will add to what we want this to be.

I’d, from a user background, want a history which gives a summary, and then “links” in whatever way is appropriate, to the workbench/other articles.

Which then begs a question as to how long you give people the edit function, and to whom: bearing in mind the historical issues we’ve had in the past.
a@y

I think if we can find a way of allowing tags to be added after initial topic creation then that would solve having to have the edit function available indefinitely on every topic (for the original poster and admins only).

Guy

1 Like

Even on creation of the topic, I couldn’t add tags, that I could see.

Three kinds of OTAs at Crianlarich

I had wanted to add this picture to the top post, but the edit function is not “live”
Not a problem really. But it would have been nice to get a picture onto the “header”.
a@y

Alan you can do it as admin.

I’ve just gone into this Topic as Admin

The Hornby OAA - Rolling Stock / Wagons - DEMU

adding an image to the first post which duly appeared in the Topic Header.

It can be done but as far as I am aware this is only a test and all these posts will go when things happen for ‘real’.

cheers
Phil

Thank makes it clear: not being an Admin, that is not an option open to me…
I’ll post in Discourse with thoughts.
a@y