DEMU Members Feedback on Discourse

A plea - can we please not apply profanity/censor filters to the likes of GWR/G*W on the new forum?

Steven B.

Ok, on the tagging stuff. I think I have them working well in the wagons area:

1. You are now restricted to only being able to use the relevant tags in this category.
  2. You have to add at least one tag
  3. We have nested tags working, so first select the tops code letter and then the full tops code, i.e. first select tops_code_o and then oaa

Tagging is not really a new folder structure, more an alternate way of organising content. Categories are still useful for apply security permissions and behaviours but we can only have a limited number of them.

Couldn’t agree more.

I’ve got an etched kit for a “G*R” / AEC 2 car DMU set in my stash. If / when I get round to building it, I’d prefer not to have to think of imaginative wording to let people know what I’m working on … .

I still can’t work out how to quote existing posts (never mind the “nested” variety).

Anyway, yesterday, there was a question about user names with spaces.

If these aren’t available on Discourse, how difficult would it be to change my user name to Huw?

The only reason I’m asking is because accessing the “underscore” character involves a bit of a “finger dance” on a number of keyboards - which can be a bit of a pain when logging in.

If this isn’t an option, then fair enough - “it is what it is” … .

By the way, I think I might already have asked about profiles.

Perhaps I should also ask about signatures - on the old site (plus a few others), I’ve set one of these in my profile - to automatically add my name at the foot of forum posts and PMs.

This reminds me - I’d probably better try sending / receiving some of these in the Discourse test - partly so I know what’s involved - partly so I can check that it works!

Other features that might be useful in future could include a facility for DEMU members to print out “filled in” membership cards at home (so they don’t need to be posted out). This might sound like a strange suggestion - but it could, potentially, be an issue if members are due to be on DEMU stands in the week or two after they renew their membership.

I’ve become aware of this one as a member of MERG (their site allows members to print membership cards - including expiry date - at home). Returning to DEMU, this year my renewal was a week or two before “Ally Pally”. OK - I’ve never manned a DEMU stand at a show (I have been on a MERG stand) - but … .

The thumbnail links to pictures are good, thanks Phil. Enough so we can see, not too much so it takes over.
a@y

On another point, I did shrink down some topics on the old Forum: as a rough guide 1/3 of the posts could go straight away as “not adding value”, and another 15% or so was quite out of date.
I also now regret starting up the Engineer wagon songbook, as that gets in the way of some searching for information: maybe tags will take over?
a@y

1 Like

That’s a build I’d be very interested to see, I’m assuming it’s the Worsley parts? Something I’d like to have a crack at building one day.

So does that mean tags can only be used in the relevant categories?

i.e. if I had a separate workbench thread in an area outside wagons, I couldn’t use HYA?

One thing I thought of.

Currently Alan Barrow as Membership Secretary manages members profiles on the forum, as in setting up their account and setting them to either Member/Expired/Expiring as appropriate.

I can’t see anything in the profile section that would indicate this functionality? is it going to be available, or Alan simply have to move people from one ‘level’ to another to accomodate that? Having Alan’s input would probably be beneficial on this matter.

Is there an edit time limit? (As per the current demu forum)

I can see (and use) an edit icon for a post from a couple hours ago, but don’t get the edit icon for one I posted yesterday.
(They are in the same thread)

I’ve noticed this too. A minor niggle though really.

Yes, it is the Worsley parts - in OO, like the vast majority of my model train stuff.

Apparently, some people on RMweb tried photocopying the parts onto card - then did an expendable “test build”. This sounds like a plan - once the test build is successfully completed, I would, of course, destroy the “test build” - I don’t want to get into copyright infringement!

There were also drawings published in Model Railway Journal - issues 5 and 6 - unfortunately, I seem to recall issues with certain drawings going across page folds etc…

I ended up photocopying the whole article a few times - then doing a new page layout using a cutting mat, scalpel, straight edge and double sided tape - before making enough copies of the result to allow me to do a “cut & shut” job on some Lima / Hornby bodyshells (when I get round to it!).

The “DIY reformatted” pages will also come in useful with the etched parts. Incidentally, a cursory glance (a while back) suggested a reasonable amount of agreement between the etched parts and the drawings.

The most obvious differences seemed to be at panel joins which were curved on the real things - I seem to recall these being “cut off” on the etched parts. This probably wouldn’t be too much of a problem if the parts were being soldered together - essentially a case of running a bit of solder into the gaps!

Anyway, if / when I’m ready to proceed with this stuff - certainly if I get anywhere - it’s likely to find its way into some VAG sessions (so I can discuss ideas with other DEMU members). Assuming I’m able to build something recognisable, I’d also take photos - try to string a few sentences together - and keep Kelly up to date with progress.

I’d probably also take the chance to add lights etc… Interiors could be interesting - mainly because none of the single ended (paired) cars survive and I haven’t encountered colour interior photos. I guess that it might be time to get reacquainted with our old friend “Rule 1” … .

I’m not sure about my painting skills - no promises here, but I might also make enquiries about stick-on livery overlays or stuff like that. I’m not sure whether I’d go for original GWR colours - or BR red and cream - both sound appealing!

It’s there and I’ve tested it. You are not an admin so can’t see it.

Guy

No you could use it. But you can’t use a non wagon tag in any topic in the wagon category.

Yes. It depends on your trust level. The more you use the forum the more your trust level increases. Low trust levels are set to 24 hours, higher levels are 60 days. We can alter this if we want.

Yes please. I would have thought that anyone who is a DEMU member should have some trust allowed…!

In any case, isn’t there an edit history, or does it only show the most recent edit?

You are now trust level 2 (of 4).

More on trust levels and what you can do here: Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

The history can be rolled back for every edit.

I think not having a limit on editing for the workbench board would be useful as without it there is no way to have a topic index (while the tags only work for the whole topic not the post)
Other than doing one workbench post per project (which to be honest may be a better way of doing things) I struggle to see how you would make the historic posts in the workbench forum more accessible

Thats good then, was just a though I had when considering functions of the old vs. this forum.

Have had a look via my phone as i am away at the moment, looks good so far. Will try it on my computer when home next week.